Re: [LUG] USB scanner and SuSE 8.0. PATH problem?

On Friday 10 January 2003 11:21 am, Tony Atkin wrote:
> On Friday 10 January 2003 12:52 am, Keith Abraham wrote:
> > I've removed the Sane 1.0.7 rpm from my SuSE 8.0
> > installation and compiled the Sane 1.0.9 tevion9693usb
> > backend from crapsite.net (required for my Medion usb scanner).
> >
> > The outcome is that sane-find-scanner reports it can't
> > find the scanner. Trying the same as root reports
> > "command not found"!
> >
> > KDE's contol centre finds the scanner OK as available
> > hardware and as a USB device.
> >
> > So this looks like a PATH problem to me. I checked the
> > file list for the old sane 1.0.7 against the newly installed sane.
> > Sure enough SuSE's Sane rpm installs it's files in different
> > locations to those of the tarball.
> > ie:
> > old saned  in /usr/sbin/
> > new saned in /usr/local/sbin/
> >
> > old scanimage in /usr/X11R6/bin/
> > new scanimage in /usr/local/bin/
> >
> > old scanner conf files are in /etc/saned/
> > new scaner conf files in /usr/local/etc/saned.
> >
> > Messing about with the system environment is a bit
> > beyond me and I'm not even sure that this is will correct
> > the problem.
> >
> > Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Doesn't sound like a path problem to me.  Type $PATH at the command line-
> you should see /usr/local/bin in there.  I'm betting that if you try that
> again as root it will not be there, which explains why you get 'command
> not found'.  As root you will need to call the programme with it's full
> path i.e. /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner.  You might also like to try
> scanimage -L .
>
> It might be a good idea to check your library paths if sane has compiled
> something into /usr/local/lib.  /etc/ld.so.conf should contain a line for
> this directory.  As root, run ldconfig to update things.  If you run
> "ldconfig -p |grep sane" you should get confirmation that your system is
> aware of the required libraries
>
> My recompiled sane is on my home machine which I can't get to right now so
> I can't be specific, but it might be a good idea to check in /etc/sane.d.
> In dll.conf just uncomment the backend you are using and leave the rest
> commented out.  Also check that the .conf file for your new backend is
> there.  If I remember correctly my setup only started working when I had
> edited this file (in my case plustek.conf) to include the vendorid and
> the product id in the usb section.  Can't remember quite where I fould
> this info, (perhaps "cat /proc/scsi/scsi")
>
> Cheers
>
> Tony

Cheers Tony
	Yes $PATH as root did report command not found.

	The vendor and product ids were correct in my
	tevion9693usb.conf. They were obtained using
	hwinfo and also from /proc/bus/usb/ (it's a USB
	scanner).

	I checked out dll.conf. Some other backends
	weren't commented out so as you recommended
	I commented them out.
	And lo! Scanner now works fine!!

	Many thanks Tony. I shall inform Sane support
	and the Tevion driver developers that another
	scanner not on their list now works.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.0 Linux on 700Mhz AMD Duron/PCChips 810LMR
with 128MB RAM and 20GB Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail