Python versions and privacy of medical records was Re: [LUG]Continuing search for a better mail client

Adrian Midgley wrote:
| On Wednesday 01 January 2003 22:45, someone purporting to be
you wrote:

|>What version of OpenLDAP are you using? I feel a need to upgrade
|>if I'm to help, maybe I can step to your version and then step
|>beyond, and see if I can reproduce or fix the problem.
|

| Hmm.  Whatever version is in SuSE 7.2, but I'm toying with
this box that says
| 8.1 on it...
|
| There is no rush, but it is definitely one of th e things I'd
eventually like
| to understand.

Okay the script snippet you gave worked fine on my Debian Woody
box, stable distro, which is Python 2.1.3, ldapobject v 1.18
(dated 2002/02/02), and openldap (rats the laptop battery just
died but 2.0.23 I think - email if this is important).

eg l = ldap.initialize() versus ldap.open()

Iterating over the search results to print them out was beyond
my (non-existent) python skill, despite it being an example code
snippet - I hate broken examples, but it does run without errors
as far as it goes. And my handy python guru is probably asleep.

I remember why I hate languages that are sensitive to white
space, I use to work in a language very similar to Python but
with more brackets, I didn't like that one either.

| The NHS used to have a central LDAP server that worked,
currently it doesn't
| seem to, and only a proportion of areas seemed to understand
the need to
| udate files and to make sensible SMTP addresses out of the
X.400 ones, but no
| doubt once the new providers settle in it will work again.
(There is ah HTML
| interface so people can look up, and it may well work with
some combination
| of Outlook and so on)

If the web interface works it is probably just that something
basic changed - like they renamed everything.

Curiously one of my friends is now working on a project at NHSIA
to build something on top of the planned patient records system,
I did ask what their plan was if the patient record system never
happens - my cynicism wasn't appreciated.

Has anyone actually asked what proportion of patients want to
have their records securely transferred, as a lot of security
effort could be saved for those of us who aren't overly
concerned over the privacy of the data (decent privacy would be
nice, but being treated by someone who has my medical record is
more important to me). Hell we could probably of had the system
several decades ago ;-)

At least I'm not sure I'd want to be the first person to have my
records spread on the Internet for all to see, but if I'm one of
several million only people specifically interested are likely
to be looking, unless you happen to share a name with a
celebrity or some such.

What was it Scott McNealy say "privacy is dead, get over it" ?