Re: [LUG] Hardware

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 14:08, piltdown wrote:
> I'm slowly but surely migrating to Linux but need to upgrade my PC
> -motherboard, processor, video and sound card. Has anyone got any
> recommendations as to what to look out for? I'm thinking of using a Gigabyte
> board with an AMD Athlon processor - but unsure about sound or graphics
> cards. Budget - about £220.

I've used a gigabyte board with linux for some time now. It's a GA-7ZX,
but I don't think you can get them anymore. No problems with it. It had
a Duron 700 in it, but now has a 1.3. again, no problems although the
cpu temp has of course gone up! :-) I use to use 128MB memory but
chucked in a (relatively) cheap 512MB stick as well when I bought the
new cpu. So it has about 640MB of memory and goes great. One thing with
the gigabyte and athlon is make sure you have enough cooling - I got an
extra fan for the duron 700 and that was okay.

The board has on-board sound card so I use that - Soundblaster
compatible I gather. Personally I use sound very rarely so it wasn't a
big concern for me. Graphics I use a bulk standard ATI Mach 64 - again
no problems and works fine (1024x768x75 I think, on an old 17" monitor).
Before that I used a very ordinary S3 card. Again it depends on what you
want to do with the graphics - I only use the PC for work and surfing,
not games, CAD or that sort of thing.

With the nvidia graphics card - which someone else mentioned - beware of
all the hassle people have had with it with redhat 8.0. RH don't supply
the drivers for it, so either you have to download them (I gather)
yourself, or save the aggro and get something else :-)

Hardware suppliers have either been the computer shop in plymouth or
dabs - I've had no problems with either.

John.