Re: [LUG] Hardware

Sorry to Slightly add to this conversation but you mention installing
NVIDIA cards( I've attached a document on how to install them, and
getting them to work under RH8.0 ) and getting GLcore to work,

Remember to backup your XF86config file..

Athlon CPU's rule...

I hope this help if you are considering NVIDIA video cards.

Configuring the Nvidia Video Card.

please check the Nvidia website for the installation and the script to
install the two files required.

Run the NVchooser to check which packages are required.

in a shell type sh NVchooser.sh

This will tell you which to files you require.

You need to change to things then in the /X11/ XF86Config files -
Instructions for the impatient : Please read the note completely before
doing this. Remeber to back up your config files. - just in case.

Instruction are true for a fresh install of RH 8.0 a frsh install is
always good folks so please consider doing one if you can - however if
you upgraded fom a previous version you just need to do minor
modifications and take a little extra care. Read the thread

Also my XF86Config file which I have posted down in the thread was
default generated by anaconda. Some of you may not be that lucky :-) so
take a little care there too ... read the thread for tips.

Step 1> Download the following from NVidia's site. (Note that the
NVIDIA_kernel is the **src.rpm** rpm file and the NVIDIA_GLX is a
**rpm**):
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
and
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm

Step 2> Make sure you have the kernel headers installed along with all
other dev tools - these are needed along with other dependencies. The
best way to ensure that you have all dependencies is to just go start
menu > system settings > packages > and in the development section
choose the Kernel development packge and install the whole thing.

Step 3> In a gnome terminal window do a "rpmbuild --rebuild
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm" to create drivers for the RH 8.0 kernel.
(This will create the binary RPM in
"/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm")

Confirm this.

Note: "rpm --rebuild" does not work with newer versions of rpm so use
"rpmbuild --rebuild".
Also do the rebuild in "X" in a gnome terminal. I dont know why but I
had problems doing the rebuild and especially installing the kernel on
command line. when I did this in a Gnome terminal in a runing Xserver it
works fine. So do it in a gnome terminal.

STEP 4> Installed this new (NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm)
"rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm"

Note: It is important that you do this step also in a gnome terminal in
a xserver session and not on command line. When doing through a command
line the rpm install hanged and did not complete, I had to restart my
computer. (I dont know why). But it works great in a terminal window in
gnome and completes fine.
The rpm after installation may complain that the nvidia_kernel is export
tainted. This is OK ignore it. To read more on export tained and what it
means:
http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted

Step 5>Now log out of gnome and go to the command line. Install the GLX
(NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm)
"rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm"

Note: I did this on the command line outside of gnome and it works so
just do it guys the same way :-)

Step 6> Edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and make a backup copy of the
original:

- Remove the Load "dri" line.
- Change the Driver line from "nv" to "nvidia"

Happy UT2003 playing.......
I am so so happy. Hope this helps you guys. Its working yeah !!!

---------update for new kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0 ------------
this message is also posted in the thread later....
If you have never loaded the "nvidia" driver before. Use the
instructions below to get going directly on the new kernel.

Redhat auto updater will update your kernel to kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0
This will stop XServer since we compiled it using the older version of
the kernel kernel-2.4.18-14

Instructions to get XServer working again for linux newbies or anyone
else who cares:

Step 1> To get Xserver working again we have to recompile the
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123 on Linux kernel kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0.
Download the following files from NVidia's site if you deleted your
initial file you downloaded before. (Note that the NVIDIA_kernel is the
**src.rpm** rpm file and the NVIDIA_GLX is a **rpm**):
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
and
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
Driver: Nvidia not NV