[LUG] sound server/service

Several of us (possibly all) are used to situations where we have more than
one computer in a room.

It occurred to me that it would be sensible to have a central sound service
in such a situation.

I envisaged one machine running a daemon which would know something about
.wav, but also .rm and .ogg and .mp3 files, and deal with them if they were
dropped, or started streaming onto it.

So first of course I looked to see if it existed.

http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/sw/bergen/

Does that look like a useful thing?

It occurs to me that with the developments of Bluetooth, GRID computing, and
personal area networking the scene is now set for a way in which all devices
with speakers might indicate what they can do and accept packets to turn into
sound orchestrated by the central controller.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/