Re: Remaining Debian question was Re: [LUG] something to do withsomeone explaining how to compile, butwhy?

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

Kai Hendry wrote:

Hellooooooooo!! We are in the 21st century.

There is no need to compile anything in a linux distribution if you are a
user!

Thats what packages are there for.

Kai,

you didn't answer me on where I get a Debian kernel with
NETCONFIG-RADIO enabled?

I'd sure prefer not to have to rebuild the kernel (even if it is
three times faster than my desktop PC), I have the 2.4.18(ish)
source package installed, a recent 2.4 would be nice.

Build your own Debian kernel package, its really really easy!

No, really, it is!

# apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev
# apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18   # use latest version
# vi /etc/kernel-pkg.conf                # input my name and email
$ cd /usr/src                            # build directory
$ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
$ cd kernel-source-2.4.18                # if this is your kernel source

# [OPTIONAL] if one wants to use modules from pcmcia-cs or no pcmcia
$ cp /boot/config-2.4.18-386 .config     # get current config as default
$ make menuconfig                        # customize as one wishes
$ make-kpkg clean                        # must run (per: man make-kpkg)
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -486 --initrd \
       --revision=rev.01 kernel_image \
       modules_image # modules_image is for pcmcia-cs* etc.
$ cd ..
# dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb pcmcia-cs*.deb # install

Just verify the symlinks for /vmlinuz and /imitrd.img and the .old
versions of them and remember to rerun lilo if you change them!

HTH
~Mark