Re: Remaining Debian question was Re: [LUG] something to dowithsomeone explaining how to compile, butwhy?

Mark McRitchie wrote:

Build your own Debian kernel package, its really really easy!

I already did, using the instructions in
/usr/share/kernel-package, just Kai keeps telling us all we
shouldn't need to compile, but maybe Debian isn't the distro for
that.

I agree kernel building under Debian is much easier, and the
packages make it easy to add and remove kernels after building
them - neat, but setting up sound and video on installation is
back at the level of Redhat 6 as far as my laptop is concerned.

Still no one has been pushing newbies at Debian Woody, but apart
from autodetection issues, I see no reason not to use it for
newbies. These hardware issues are hard to do unless you've got
a lot of test kit, or volunteers... Hmm gives me an idea.....

apt-get, apt-cache is great, it found and installed dependencies
for Super Methane Brothers tar ball no hassle.

I tried installing apt-file, but it barfed on running, so I need
to investigate, looks like compatibility issues between apt-file
and other tools.

Loaded up the required(!) Chess applications (eboard, SCID) no
hassle. Seems no GNU Chess in Debian 3 stable, but I know the
maintainer, so I'm sure he'll advise me on what to do to get the
relevant deb's. GNU Chess 5.06 is taking shape, just analysis
feature to add which should be a few hours to write and test,
then tidy up to do.

Simon