Re: Remaining Debian question was Re: [LUG] something to dowithsomeone explaining how to compile, butwhy?

Kai Hendry wrote:

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:44:56PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
you didn't answer me on where I get a Debian kernel with
NETCONFIG-RADIO enabled?

I don't know/care where. How about looking yourself? Herbert Xu list what
options they have on/off somewhere. And even if he doesn't have the option
enabled, it probably compiled as a module!

I don't think you can enable wireless extensions other than at
configure time, so I guess a module is out, although I see no
general reason why it couldn't be done, depends how modular your
kernel is designed to be.

Performance gains by compiling your own packages for your x86 arch have been
discussed countless times, the result?  Not worth it.

I was talking about the box being faster, not compiling for
architecture, nevermind.

I don't understand why they bundle modules like wvlan_cs and
wavelan etc if the kernel can't use them - or did I miss
something?

I don't know about your particular case.

There seems to be a bug report filed, suggesting this is a Woody
bug.

There are *lots* of kernel packages.

Yes, but no obvious way to tell if any of them will drive your
hardware, unless your lucky enough to have it put in the "show"
text, or am I missing something. Sure the author may list the
settings somewhere, but if I can't find it relatively easily
most newbies are going to be very lost indeed.

At least with my available bandwidth it'll be far faster to
build a custom kernel - so I did - now I have an Internet
connection on the box I might try a prebuilt kernel after 2.4.18
to see how it would have worked.

Kernel-Package made it very easy to make a custom kernel image,
I like this staying within the packaging system, and easily
customised kernel packages could have their uses as well ;-)

I'm busy trying out 'apt-get -u upgrade' for the first time, so
rare you get a package manager with a distro that actually
appears to make a decent stab at upgrading things, but we'll
see.

Simon