Re: [LUG] Scanner access not easy

Nice Idea Scanner Servers. When I get my new Axel 16 bits I will have some PC's thatg could do just that

Thanks
Rick

Tony Atkin wrote:

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 4:41 pm, Simon Waters wrote:

Rick Timmis wrote:

No I have no idea, but this is something I would like to do. Ideally
I would like to provide each office with a networked scanner, plummed
back to the main server. Given that they all run thin client this
would have to be the way to do it. I would be really interested to
work on this with you to find a solution

I think some of the HP Office products will work as network
scanners via JetAdmin, so if  you have a choice of scanners you
might side steps some of the problems. Some of these devices
don't have Linux drivers, which I why I was looking at JetAdmin.
Haven't played with this option myself mind, just something I
saw in the documentation when zipping by.

One client has loads of fancy Xerox devices that do everything,
and can scan and dump to a samba share, but they cost a small
fortune.

In an ideal world USB cable would extend as far as you need and you would be able to run the connections back from scanners to server. But as 5 metres seems to be the limit, the only way to do this would be with some sort of extension device (usb -> cat5 -> usb). My uneducated guess is that this might turn out to be just as costly as buying hp network scanners. A cheap but unelegant solution would be to rescue some redundent low-end pc's, set them up with suitable interface cards and run them as scanner servers.

Tony