Re: [LUG] Recycle please!!!! was: venuesfor meetings,

On Friday 29 November 2002 10:10 am, Brough, Tom wrote:

Why, only the other day I threw out a 486 that may well have had
working comonents in it...

From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley

      I just wish you had not said that ........  :-(

You can always find something useful to do with a 486. Just recently I sent
a 386 laptop (640x480x16 mono) with 4Mb (25Mhz) 80Mb HDD. Only had
Slackware 3.3 (console mode) to my inlaws in the philippines and my inlaws
where nearly fighting over who was going to have it. They couldnt work out
how to open the flip panel but thats another story (extreme remote tech
support from 6000 miles) .....

My sentiments exactly Tom - re. throwing away - any - surplus PC's.

I have a Toshiba (mono) laptop (386/6/80), works fine, complete with original
carrying bag, adapter, manuals and floppies (batteries are dud though), and a
good quaility working HP 486/75dx (8/560) base unit you can have if you want
them for - your - good cause.  I'll deliver, but only if you are somewhere
inbetween  Inverness, Lands End and Ramsgate ;-)

David Bell
Hatherleigh
Devon