Re: [LUG] Power Surges & Gnucash

Hi Andy

The problems you are getting is a well documented and age old problem. The guarantee of service from the electicity providers is not up to the requirements of a computer.
Anyone who is going to run transaction processing on a computer needs a UPS.
We use APC but any good one will do. You need to implement the auto shutdown routine and change the shutdown script to log any users off and tidy and close any applications gracefully. This is particularly important with dtata base applications.

Bill Wilson
Ylem Ltd

andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I need assistance in a number of areas, which when taken together, are relavent topics for the DCLUG.

1) I have just moved to Newquay (Devon & Cornwall related), since moving in, we have experienced numerous power surges and dips. Has anyone else in Newquay experienced this or is it just down to dodgy wiring in my house? (used to live in Perranporth and had no problems)

2) Since moving to Newquay, I have experienced many 'lockups' on my machine (runs Mandrake). Is this typical behaviour of a machine (with no UPS) experiencing power surges and dips? And can anyone suggest a good cheap UPS that is Linux compatible.

3) As a result of the crashes, my filesystem seems to be in a bit of a mess. I use Gnucash to do my accounts and seem to have lost the main xml file (the one time I don't back up my accounts) does anyone know if there is any way to rescue my accounts from the log files and workbooks.

thanks for your help

Andy Weir

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)

***** YLEM DISCLAIMER *****

To obtain a copy of Ylem's email disclaimer ring 01398 323146

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)