[LUG] Power Surges & Gnucash

Hi all,

I need assistance in a number of areas, which when taken together, are relavent
topics for the DCLUG.

1) I have just moved to Newquay (Devon & Cornwall related), since moving in, we have
experienced numerous power surges and dips. Has anyone else in Newquay experienced
this or is it just down to dodgy wiring in my house? (used to live in Perranporth
and had no problems)

2) Since moving to Newquay, I have experienced many 'lockups' on my machine (runs
Mandrake). Is this typical behaviour of a machine (with no UPS) experiencing power
surges and dips? And can anyone suggest a good cheap UPS that is Linux compatible.

3) As a result of the crashes, my filesystem seems to be in a bit of a mess. I use
Gnucash to do my accounts and seem to have lost the main xml file (the one time I
don't back up my accounts) does anyone know if there is any way to rescue my
accounts from the log files and workbooks.

thanks for your help

Andy Weir