[LUG] Swap Space Query

Does anyone know at what point the Linux Kernel starts using its swap space
?

According to /proc/meminfo I have quite a lot of swap space but none of it
has yet been used ? I thought it was quite common for at least some swap to
be allocated almost immediately upon bootup or is it triggered when real
memory gets to a particular level ?

Kernel is 2.4.7-10 (RedHat 7.2) if this is any help. Real memory is ~ 768Mb
.

I am just a little bit concerned because we are running an application that
uses resin / java & oracle database (ie intensive memory use all round) all
on the same box and occasionally it freezes everything ( to the point where
you cant login at console) ie Hard Reboot only option :-(.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council