[LUG] OT: E-gov Network Security and all that .....

As the dawn of the brave new world of E-gov approaches rapidly we are now
trying to solve "real world" problems regarding network security. We do have
firewalls etc on our network but as yet we have not delivered much in the
way dynamic content, at least not of a potentially sensitive nature, and so
the security issue while attented to has not received microscopic
inspection. The FUD factor has thus so far limited the "services" we offer
online. Since the "solution in a (black) box" type strategies have caused
even more FUD and attempts to talk with "network security gurus" have left
us with our heads spinning we are continuing with our DIY policy.

The first tentative step towards resolving this problem:

We have been asked to set up a trial "network infrastructure" in order to
test security issues. I am looking for a list of tests, hacking techniques,
tools and potiential solutions and strategies, if fact just about anything
that can be used to improve network security, or alternatively a highly
recommended URL which deals with network security issues listed.

There will be at least one Linux box on the network that could be used for
monitor ect.

Any advice ?

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council