Re: [LUG] Swap Space Query

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:54:30AM +0100, Brough, Tom wrote:

Does anyone know at what point the Linux Kernel starts using its swap space
?

According to /proc/meminfo I have quite a lot of swap space but none of it
has yet been used ? I thought it was quite common for at least some swap to
be allocated almost immediately upon bootup or is it triggered when real
memory gets to a particular level ?

keep a window open running top and see what is happening.
top lets you sort by memory use (M key I think)

Kernel is 2.4.7-10 (RedHat 7.2) if this is any help. Real memory is ~ 768Mb
.

I am just a little bit concerned because we are running an application that
uses resin / java & oracle database (ie intensive memory use all round) all
on the same box and occasionally it freezes everything ( to the point where
you cant login at console) ie Hard Reboot only option :-(.

I had this problem with a similar set up, except postgres instead
of oracle.  It went away when I stopped running resin as root.  Yes I
know it was a dumb thing to do in the first place...