Re: [LUG] OT: E-gov Network Security and all that .....

"Brough, Tom" wrote:

The FUD factor has thus so far limited the "services" we offer
online. Since the "solution in a (black) box" type strategies have caused
even more FUD and attempts to talk with "network security gurus" have left
us with our heads spinning we are continuing with our DIY policy.

Wrong guru?

End of the day you have to do it yourself or employ guru's
fulltime, although I think an annual external audit for IT
security focuses the minds of others.

Problem is management always want an audit to say everything is
fine (I guess the analogy is with financial audits), where as
you want them to point out the rough edges, nothing so glaring
as reveal your incompetent ;), but security is a slope of
diminishing returns, and you want short cuts, and hints how to
get further up that slope as painlessly as possible. More like a
dental check, you want to be told "no fillings" but you also
want to be told if your brushing technique is flawed, or if you
are grinding your teeth in your sleep, and maybe how to make
your teeth whiter to enhance your attractiveness.

The first tentative step towards resolving this problem:

We have been asked to set up a trial "network infrastructure" in order to
test security issues. I am looking for a list of tests, hacking techniques,
tools and potiential solutions and strategies, if fact just about anything
that can be used to improve network security, or alternatively a highly
recommended URL which deals with network security issues listed.

Port Scanner (nmap is the business, and free), needs a little
nouse to drive it properly, but for starters it'll show you what
is listening (from inside and outside) for connections, and if
remote systems can be identified. Netstat is your friend.

Vulnerability scanner. Nessus is free but focused mainly on
identifying exploitable weaknesses, there are also some good
audit tools - nominally I am a reseller as one of my distributor
sells one of these - which do a sort of glorified Windows
update, telling you what patches you are missing (even if there
aren't known exploits in Nessus), and what common security
options you should have set, or what common errors you have
made.

For *nix Satan and Cops did these kind of things for free, I
still use "cops" for it's ability to audit basic file permission
issues on some production *nix servers, mainly cause it reveals
when my colleagues or the vendor (mostly HP) screws up, or break
change control procedures.

Of course if you have the dosh ISS and friends are nice.

Next come tools to let you know you've been cracked, and/or stop
it.

So fingerprinting tools (tripwire - licence is a bit odd I seem
to remember), intrusion detection tools (often you can gather a
lot from just logging activity that shouldn't happen, the "why
is our webserver port scanning our database server?" question,
does someone actually look at the firewall logs and ponder odd
traffic?).

The same distributor also plugs an NT server lock tool, where
actions that would change key files, or read key files are
prevented, and reported, they make the usual marketing claims
about having stopped all sorts of IIS failing this way (for once
I believe them). Much the same can be achieved with chroot'ing
apps in *nix, without quite as much hassle when updating things.

There are some specific web site weakness tools, look for
configuration weaknesses, but often it is hard to generalise
these kind of tests, especially if you've customised something,
or URLs are being rewritten to hide how servers work to the
outside.

There will be at least one Linux box on the network that could be used for
monitor ect.

;-)

Any advice ?

You can go overboard with the commercial products to help
things, where a little understanding helps. Prevention is better
than cure, but you must have enough monitoring so you know a
cure is needed, sometimes a tight firewall config will show
enough to reveal an active intruder.

Best thing securitywise is good build, and firewall procedures.
If the builds always switch off unneeded services, and follow
the vendors guidelines setting up OSes and services. Firewall
out, and log, everything that isn't absolutely required, for a
DMZ this could include "all out going connections denied"
(except maybe DNS and SMTP traffic from relevant servers - so
even if you say left the IIS formmail problem the server never
sends the mail and you can clean it up inhouse without
embarassment).

Scan from the outside to see what it looks like, but use
scanning on the inside to identify and lock down rogue services.

Defence in depth has to be the motto, so many of the network
applications are written in non-type safe languages, load up
loads of modules, or rely on dodgy underlying libraries, that
you can guarantee they will have future exploits. Sure patching
them as weaknesses are revealed is a good move, but it is by
"locking down the hatches" in advance that you prevent a minor
weakness in a server application becoming an "owned" site.

I prefer proxies to packet filters ;-)