Re: [LUG] Jabber: group conferencing for OSS group?

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Sunday 20 October 2002 10:26, you wrote:
IRC is easier imo. apt-get install irssi

IRC is a very solid recommendation.  ircd is trivial to install and run
as a single-server system, and there is a wide choice of IRC client
(I use xchat these days).

I've also found Jabber to work reasonably well, though I've never adminned
a server and I've only jabbered in a small-team context: I shouldn't be
at all surprised if it falls flat when you try to scale it up.

What is the difference between IM and IRC?

Not quite sure - I never got IM to do anything useful.  But then I never
had a reason to: I wouldn't know where to look for an interesting
discussion with it.  IRC is where serious conferencing happens - eg
irc.openprojects.net is a "virtual coffee bar" for a huge number of
opensource projects and interest groups, and irc.w3.org is where a lot
of W3C discussion, including official meetings, takes place.

        I know IRC has been around for
ages, is it mainly teh additional server-based services such as when people
are on line and so on that distinguish IRC, or are there more improtant
differneces.

Pass.  Don't know enough about IM to say.

And where is the unreliability of Jabber derived from - is this becuase the
protocols are flawed or becuae a gratuit server is unlikely to give reliable
service when busy?

I'm surprised at you!  You should know that all reliable implementations
of the 'net's core services are free, or very closely derived from free
s/w.  But certainly when I used Jabber, the Client software available
for *X gave the impression of being less than mature.  OTOH, that's going
back a while.

--
Nick Kew