Re: [LUG] Jabber: group conferencing for OSS group?

Nick Kew wrote:

And where is the unreliability of Jabber derived from - is this becuase the
protocols are flawed or becuae a gratuit server is unlikely to give reliable
service when busy?

I'm surprised at you!  You should know that all reliable implementations
of the 'net's core services are free, or very closely derived from free
s/w.

It doesn't stop free servers becoming overloaded in any
instance.

But certainly when I used Jabber, the Client software available
for *X gave the impression of being less than mature.  OTOH, that's going
back a while.

It's looked of mixed maturity when I last played.

I got an impression of unreliability, but I think that was
mainly where the software was trying to utilise multiple backend
IM systems, and it looks like some of the proprietary providers
don't want people plugging into their branded services with
unbranded clients, and some of the gateways to those services
were in various states of disrepair.

Straight Jabber to Jabber seemed to work reasonably well.....