Re: [LUG] Parted query - Partition Magic 8

On Thursday 17 Oct 2002 9:26 pm, Kai Hendry wrote:
On to, loka?? 17, 2002 at 09:07:02 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

man parted

I can't tell you what to do, as that program is little interactive. Just
think about what you are going to, and do it. There is a zillion ways to

parted has made a real mess of this drive. The 1Gb is now allocated to the
/boot partition but df still reports the original 50Mb size, not the
(pointless) 1.05Gb size that is reported using the Hardware Browser in Gnome
and using parted print. That 1Gb should be part of hda3 not hda2.

Partition Magic 6 is no help at all. (Apart from indicating some kind of 2Gb
boundary at the end of the area I want to allocate to the partition on the
other side of this 'boundary' - surely this is just some Windoze bug?)

do it. Try resizing different partitions, and moving. You should of
course be using parted from a bootdisk. I remember seeing RH8 installer
with it.  Just ctrl+alt+f2 and parted /dev/hda

Not enough room on the bootdisk for the 332kb parted binary. I did boot from
a bootdisk and it didn't make any difference to parted. It still exited
silently when resizing hda3 without actually achieving anything. move
complained about copying a partition over itself and comments: try resize?
mkpart doesn't work.

This is 1Gb that I could use nicely in RedHat7.2

1gb is a tiny amount of space.
don't waste time.

Umm, that tiny amount of space is 20% of the total on this machine (a laptop)
- - that's not tiny!! That's exactly the amount of space that this RH
installation could REALLY benefit from. A second disc isn't an option on a
laptop, an upgrade/enlarged drive is ridiculously expensive option.

ctrl-alt-f2 doesn't work because XFree doesn't release the TFT panel, virtual
consoles are impossible once X has started.

I don't want to have to re-install RH8 on this machine because I've only just
got GnuCash and KDevelop installed on RH7.2 and I REALLY don't want to mess
this one around. I might re-install 7.2 but it's not an ideal solution.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk/
http://www.dclug.org.uk/