Re: [LUG] Java

"justin.powell1" wrote:

I would guess these are
the Sun document references you refer to.

No, it was the documentation accompanying Star Office - I
suspect it dated from pre-SUN days.

With Sun creating and certifying Java it seems
safe to assume that their distribution is likely to be the safest and
most stable to use.

A few months back the new SUN JRE (1.4?) was still in beta and
more stable and better performing than any other on Linux for my
purposes, although the application also ran well on IBM JRE
(which offered some specific run time options to control
resource usage), and ran but did not readily compile (at least
not with my efforts) on Kaffe.

The SUN stuff also brought support for the non-blocking I/O into
the Java standard. I haven't tried it with Star Office, Open
Office may be more mellow about Java versions.

Despite all this I still have grief with Java under Netscape,
and Konqueror, so advice is always welcome, I suspect it is as I
use a dodgy chat application, but it seems to work okay with
some other Java's (such as Star Office as a browser, although
Star Office makes a rather slow browser).