Re: [LUG] Mozilla vs Netscape

Hi Rick

I assume this is not a default install with the Red Hat Distro.

Some recent Redhat distro's come with Kaffe installed by default, see
http://www.kaffe.org/ . The "java" executable in the default path is actually a
script that starts the Kaffe VM, not a 'Sun Certified' JVM.

This distinction killed me a few years ago when I was trying to set up
Apache/Tomcat on a Redhat server. As the the Kaffe site states: "Kaffe is not
Java" and "Kaffe is constantly under development, and lacks compatibility in
many ways with the current releases of Java".

When starting the installation I checked for a Java executable in the path, and
ran a few test programs and all seemed good. This was my first mistake in
assumed that I had a Sun Java SDK installed. I then set up Tomcat with Apache
and started testing it with JSP and Servlets, and that was when the problems
started. Some things worked and some didn't. So I then made my second mistake by
assuming that the Apache/Tomcat install and config that was the problem, as in
my own mind I'd already tested Java and that was fine. Took me three days
tinkering on and off before I realized that I wasn't actually running a
certified version of Java. So I went to the Sun Java site http://java.sun.com/,
downloaded the free Linux Java SDK, installed it, and all my problems
disappeared.

Moral of the story "don't make assumptions", and use a Certified JVM to my
knowledge most are free.

Regards,

Justin.