Re: [LUG] Datacentres

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:56:06PM +0100, Jon Still wrote:

Anyone else got the datacentre blues?

Post Office Datacentre was blues worthy.

You needed "a change" or "an incident" to get in. That is to say,
unless the system had broken, you were not getting in without
approval. The change request system was so conveluted, it meant you
had a minimum of three days.

Upon arrival, the change request would never had been passed on, so
you'd sit between two sets of razor wire, waiting for seven phone
calls to allow you to proceed.

When you got in, being a contractor, the people didn't actually
recognise you, so there was tons of "can I see some Id" etc.

Mobiles phones off, you took your pass and started on your way. The
mid range hall, where I used to do most of my work, was bright, being
lit by tubes and had enough background noise to make you have to raise
your voice slightly. There would always be one squeak and that, with
the lights, was enough to give anyone a headache.

Seeing as it was so difficult to get in, you always rodre more work
off the back of a single change. This was a bit naughtly, but since
the process was so annoying, it meant that things actually got
done. So, you'd be in there all day.

No windows, a bit chilly, bright tube light, rumble and squeak. On
your own, one phone line which was always in use. No mobile, no
friends, none of your normal manuals, etc. In there all bloody day, on
your own, with only the occasional passing centre staff member[1] for
company.

Get me out of here!

Cheers

Steve

[1] Data centre staff werw a cross between Neanderthal man and
vampires, being only just capable of laying a network capble and
putting a DAT tape in, whilst happy to do the madest shifts.