[LUG] Re: RH 8.0.... What do you think...

On 06-Oct-2002 at 00:10:57 Joe Giles wrote:
This might not be the most appropriate spot for this kind of question, and
I will gladly apologize if someone doesn't like it, but I would like to
know what you all think about the new Red Hat 8.0. I am downloading the
4th CD now and I was going to install it, but in light of e-mails this
last week, I'm not sure I want to with all the problems others are having.
I have a perfectly good working 7.3 install and I really would like to get
others opinions of it before I format and reinstall. I was thinking about
installing it on VMWare and giving it a test drive first.

Anyway, what do you think; do you like it, or would you wait for the next
release (or any fixes)?

Received my boxed personal 8.0 last Friday. Installed it over the weekend.
I'd say if you are thinking about going to 8.0 then do so. Yes, it's
different on the desktop, but redhat told you that, and you can change
things. Yes, it has apache 2 instead of the old 1.3 series, so beware - no
doubt there are other updates that have happened which may appear as
'broken'. Yes, you may have problems, but I'd be surprised if redhat (or
anyone?) released an entire O/S which kept everyone happy! :-) My problems -
cut/paste didn't work once I logged in; ran mouseconfig and it all works
fine now. (I suspect a /dev/mouse and /dev/psaux issue.) Yes, it may well
not install everything you expect. In my case it didn't install xscreensaver
for some reason - I told the installation to install the X window system and
KDE.

I'd say hats off to redhat for what seems to be an improvement as a default
desktop. The problem may well be that a lot of us have gotten use to KDE
and/or GNOME. Bluecurve is different, but you can change it :-) To me that's
the nice thing, and it outweighs most of the 'problems' I have read about.
Now if they were bugs, then I would agree that waiting for 8.1 would be
sensible :-)

Regards,

John.
PS - cc'd to my local LUG, so careful if you hit reply :-)