Re: [LUG] linux in schools - terminal ... man

Steve Marvell wrote:

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 10:59:25PM +0100, Andrew Rogers wrote:

http://www.ltsp.org

Took a good look, but I'm abbit confused about this whole "etherboot"
lark. I'm not sure how to do that at all.

Without a harddrive or any other bootable drive you can't boot. But you
can also boot from a ROM chip. This ROM plugs into the ethernet card.
The system is booted from this ROM and has a TFTP (Trivial FTP) client
that downloads a kernel from a server. You can also put Etherboot on a
floppy disk if you don't have facilities to program ROMs.

It also has a DHCP client, etherboot uses DHCP to both configure
the network interface and to discover which file it should
download by TFTP.

Useful DHCP paramaters are
"filename" which file to TFTP
"use-host-decl-names on" hostname is set by DHCP entry
"next-server" gives the IP address of the TFTP server, otherwise
it is assumed to be the same as the DHCP server.