Re: [LUG] linux in schools - terminal ... man

Mark Evans wrote:

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:38:08AM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

Are those seriously old pentiums?

66 MHz with 32 Mb RAM.

My server is a 1Gig (chipset forgotten) with 256.

Unless you have only a few terminals you really want
as much RAM as possible in the server.

If I show my age I remember 256MB being far more than perfectly
adequate for strings of 5 X terminals all power users. But Mark

I remember when couple of 386s was good enough for a whole
university campus including a room full of graphical
workstations. Indeed I don't think you could physically
fit 256M into a Sequent Symetry.

is right, these day Office suites and browsers seem to gobble it
all up. We were using Applixware at the time, so I assume it is

Things don't work well when you have a load average
approaching 30.

probably still less greedy, as I don't think it has changed
much.

It also matters if the possibility of running multiple
instances of the program was considered in the design.

Given that it is generally easier to get something
designed to be multi user to work with one user than
it is to get something designed to be single user
to work well in a multi user environment.