Re: [LUG] linux in schools - terminal ... man

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:20:30AM +0100, Andrew Rogers wrote:

Without a harddrive or any other bootable drive you can't boot. But you
can also boot from a ROM chip. This ROM plugs into the ethernet card.
The system is booted from this ROM and has a TFTP (Trivial FTP) client
that downloads a kernel from a server. You can also put Etherboot on a
floppy disk if you don't have facilities to program ROMs.

I know I can't do that, and it seems a waste to have a hard drive and
not use it.

You can get etherboot images in various forms, go to
www.rom-o-matic.com

A ROM is a lot more indestructable than a HDD as well
as producing less heat and noise.