Re: [LUG] Time warpz

On Sunday 11 Aug 2002 1:42 pm, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
On Sunday 11 August 2002 18:44, you wrote:

Seeing as you point it out, has ANYONE got ANY idea why my laptop keeps
randomly changing the time by a number of hours, possibly when suspending?
It's a Dell Latitude CP running Linux Mandrake 8.0, if it's relevant.

My Advent running RedHat 7.2 often loses several minutes at a time. Much more
annoying is the touchpad/keyboard. I can typing away and suddenly I'qqll get
lotqqs of qqq's everywhere or an odd <F3>q and then just to make it bett

And whilst we're on the subject, any ideas why the suspend will quite often
'hang' when suspending, and quite quickly show a completely garbled
screen?ter it starts typing away somewhere else entirely!

(read that last paragraph carefully to understand the problem.)

The other problem is related. In Galeon, I often get <F3> actioning a menu
shortcut and opening the Open File dialog. VERY annoying. In KMail or other
text windows, suddenly everything goes into block capitals (without the Caps
Lock light coming on!) In Sokoban, the multiple q interruptions mean I can
NEVER finish a game! It just quits without any direct input. This has
happened with Mandrake v7-8 and RedHat 7.2

Oh, and if you want to make it a hat trick, why does my sound card stop
responding randomnly, possibly after a suspend?  I can only fix it by
rebooting (erghh, reminds me of the Bad Old Days), despite restarting every
(vaguely) relevant service.

Suspend doesn't work. Simple.

And I shan't ask what happened to the 'cat' command... I think that's just
coz my system is seriously screwed!

Check if /var/log/messages still exists. When suspend crashed this system
yesterday, it was suddenly transformed into /usr/kde/ somethinq.g (See, q's
everywhere.) ( usr/lib/kde3/kcm_kdf.la/messages actually)
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/msg01337.html

If anything like that is happening to you, backup whatever data is still
intact.

Jon

--

Neil Williams