Re: [LUG] Time warpz

On Monday 12 August 2002 04:51, you wrote:
On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 13:42, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
On Sunday 11 August 2002 18:44, you wrote:
PS: You appear to be trapped in some sort of time warp,
answering questions before they were asked ;)

Seeing as you point it out, has ANYONE got ANY idea why my laptop keeps
randomly changing the time by a number of hours, possibly when
suspending? It's a Dell Latitude CP running Linux Mandrake 8.0, if it's
relevant.

Possibly a little too much power saving eh ? I have a computer with the
CMOS battery perfectly fine.. stil looses time if it is off.. i simply
use rdate to re-sync the time to my main server (which in turn is synced
to demon internet's ntp)

Does linux keep a seperate 'system' clock, not synched to the hardware clock?
Surely that might fsck up on suspend?

And whilst we're on the subject, any ideas why the suspend will quite
often 'hang' when suspending, and quite quickly show a completely garbled
screen? And why it instantly started working again when I showed it to a
linux geek I met on the train?

now.. which law was that again.. oh yeah.. Sods ! I believe it to be a
proximity bug (good one to use on "users") When techies are not about,
computers misbehave.

I think that's the one...  I obviously just need a good supply of linux
geeks; it's worked flawlessly ever since!

Oh, and if you want to make it a hat trick, why does my sound card stop
responding randomnly, possibly after a suspend?  I can only fix it by
rebooting (erghh, reminds me of the Bad Old Days), despite restarting
every (vaguely) relevant service.

Again, probably the totally anal power saving !

My, you sure have a thing against power saving...  it says "device busy" and
spits out "could not open device" on the console in XMMS, although I guess
that probably doesn't mean much.

And I shan't ask what happened to the 'cat' command... I think that's
just coz my system is seriously screwed!

Well my cat is just fine... sitting on my lap purring... oh sorry wrong
cat ! FYI he has behaved (most of the time) since the bath i gave him a
few weeks back.

/me tries bathing his laptop in a bath of warm soapy water in a desperate
attempt to rescue his linux system ;-)

Jon