Re: [LUG] wine and crossover

On Friday 19 July 2002 08:07, you wrote:

http://www.codeweavers.com

This is the whole crossover thing, letting you run windows programs on
linux. I thought wine was free, but you can download "wine preview"
from them.

I have had mixed experiences with Wine.
GOt some important programs running under some versions but not others.

The trial version of Crossover does some things very nicely and others seem
to have broken.

I think that, Lindows, Win4Lin and VM range from very promising to very good,
and the trange of cost and requirement for MS software goes with that
gradient.

Didn't SUN solve the Office probelms with WABI ages ago, a piece of
engineering that was followed by an accelaration in the pace of change in MS
Office componenents, including some changes of which the benefits to the end
user which no doubt one would have to have detailed access to the MS source
code in order to appreciate.

Indeed, probably those with detailed (legal) access to the MS source code do
appreciate the benefits of those changes.
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/