[LUG] big list of cool software?

I'm compiling a list of pleasure, like, the top 5 or so in catagories:
(doesn't have to be free or even OSS). In fact, is there a connonical
list of commercial packages?

Also, have I missed any catagories?

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything stonking?

Is there anything on Windows that's just not got a replacement?

To be honest, it's supposed to appeal mostly to windows users, but
it's gotta have the sensible backend stuff too.

What I'm really missing are an Access/VB replacment. I'm thinking a
DB, with WDBI and PHP.

Cheers peeps

Steve

* also available on Windows

- Intranet *

sql-ledger
WDBI
Webcal

- Migration & Crossover

vmware *?
vnc *
cygwin *!
wine

- System

openssh
clustra (though I've still got to look at it)
boewolf (sp?)
squid
smoothwall
FreeSCO
tripwire
integris
(is XFS the only journalled file system)

- Web

apache
jakarta
mod_perl
PHP - per se
firstpage *

- Programming

perl *
proper C/C++
(other languages ... )
cpan - as a concept
CVS
(VB equiv?)

- Databases

berkley
mysql
postgres
oracle
(other commercial databases)
(see also WDBI [intranet])

- Desktop

gnome
kde
OpenOffice *
StarOffice *
FrameMaker * (in progress?)
Scribus
Gimp
gnucash
(Need an MS Access equiv)
(Need a GUI mail reader mahognanny?)
(many browsers)
(see also firstpage [web] and intranet)
(other offices, inc Corel and Applixware)
LaTeX, (though it's not quite desktop)
viavoice