[LUG] wine and crossover

Just building my list of "bloody good linux programs" and cam across this:

http://www.codeweavers.com

This is the whole crossover thing, letting you run windows programs on
linux. I thought wine was free, but you can download "wine preview"
from them.

Can someone explain the current state of the "running windows
programs on linux" thing. I mean directly, not the vmware and vnc
thing.

Also, does anyone know a good Opensource PC X Server? I was told this
cygwin XFree86 thing openned you a Window an dran all the X programs
in there. Am I to still recommend Hummingbird Exceed to clients?

Steve