Re: [LUG] big list of cool software?

On Friday 19 July 2002 2:53 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Friday 19 July 2002 14:26, you wrote:
I used to use Idealist ...
 Unfortunately the programme did
not survive OS upgrades very well (win3.1 to 95/98)

Mine has survived from w3.1 to NT4 via 95 and 98  - still the 16 bit
version and very effective.

Forgot to mention that, out of curiosity, I recently fished out my old
(16bit) copy of Idealist and tried it under Wine.  Seemed to run very
well, although I have to admit that I did not give it a thorough
work-out.

What I looked at was using Python to
run it by DDE in order to unify the various databases or clouds of
info we have, but I have never found DDE very reliable or
consistent.  I might do it yet.

I eventually found replacements for both these functions.
For the departmental resources catalogue, I just write html files
and put them where they can be indexed by htdig.

I do that, but I don't think I can currently ask my staff to do it.

For my own scratchpad I use zwiki (a wiki which
runs on a Zope installation ) - works for me!

I'm keen on wiki, I think the concept is vry good, very important,
not quite such a step as teh invetion of the spreadsheet was but
certainly important.

But I have not done well at setting it up myself.  Yet.
That would be a possibility I agree, for general use, but the
searching is less quick than Idealist.

I looked at Mifluz, which was a budding off of the actual search
core from Ht/Dig, and at mg which is a system deveoped partly in the
digital library of New Zealand standing for "manage gigabytes"

These have possibilities.

Interesting - must check them out...  In a couple of weeks, when I come
back off holiday :)

Tony