Distro wars! (and madness) (was Re: [LUG] onsite installations)

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 11:54 am, Alex Charrett wrote:
debian rules
redhat/suse/rpm based distros suck

I was going to reply to this, but I really don't feel like expending the
effort.

but it's true ;)

the grapevine told me redhat goign to be moving to apt in a few major-number
releases.

rpm's are a nasty, evil, sadistic way of doing things, that works, and it
popular because redhat have done so well.  dpkg does a lot better job with
deps, conflicts, and pre-dependencies, things that rpm's doesn't support
*properly* iirc.

don't ask for any hard proof behind this statement except my rather bad
memory, i'm sure lots if people can give you the technical reasons, and i
could once again if i played with redhat, but it's been far to long since
i've touched redhat to even remember how it works, let alone build RPM's :p

I like redhat as a company, the senior director of engineering there is a
really nice and knowlegable guy [1], over lunch a while back we talked about
dirction they are going, and i do agree with it, - however...

a dist needs to either be aimed *mainly* for the desktop (mandrake, suse, etc)
or for the a server (debian, umm, debian, debian, ok,ok, and a few others ;))

redhat are aiming for both, and imo, this is a big mistake.  I havn't trusted
redhat in any way on servers at all since all the big 7.0 (or was it 7.1?)
cock ups.

They are also very release orientated, keen to get out a release as quick as
possible, not really (by the way they are released) carign too much about
quality of it - something that you can't risk on a server, and they do admit
that managment imposed deadlines have caused havoc in certian releases.

then there is the managment of lots of servers.  me and my team look after a
large number of linux servers, for Notnet, ANL, AnlX, a bunch of corperate
firewalls, all sorts of office installs (samba, dns, gateways, etc, etc), a
few random .com's that we contracted for, a large newspaper company [2], and
even a few back in greece from an old contract i had.  ohh, they are all
running debian, properly installed, everyhting on the system in packaged then
installed, if compiling from source.....

compare this with redhat (*yay!*) and a poor friend of mine, chris [3] who
looks after 40 or 50 odd lummox boxen for games-world, a large ISP, and a few
customers along with a slightly larger team that i have.

I introduced him to debian a fair while back, and rather than wasting time on
trying to keep the redhat boxes up2date, secure, and well looked afer, he now
spends his time thanking me for introducing him to debian and persuading him
to use it instead of pissing around with redhat.  ohh, and halping customers
with NT4 and converting the boxes one by one from redhat to debian ;)

another happy converteee :p

ohh.

nano rocks.

vi and emacs sucks.

*duck* :p

chill!!

~ Theo, in a "debian is the best, all the rest suck" mood :)

ps: incase anyone didn't notice the blairingly obvious, i'm _always_ in a
half-hearted mood, please don't take anythign i say in a serious tone ;)

it comes from working at home i think.  there is no one to take my stess out
on at home so i end up balanced on the verge of sanity trying not to go mad.

ohh, maybe     i've             gone
 mad.

do you know when you lost all sanity?

[1] http://www.awe.com/mark/
[2] Not the one on the register about war dialing, no :p
[3] Ohh dear, help him: http://theo.me.uk/pages.shtml?page=friends#chris

- --

Theo Zourzouvillys
http://zozo.org.uk/

The Console UI is for hardcore g[r]eeks.
Desktops are for monkeys.
Monkeys point.