Re: Distro wars! (and madness) (was Re: [LUG] onsite installations)

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

the grapevine told me redhat goign to be moving to apt in a few major-number
releases.

rpm's are a nasty, evil, sadistic way of doing things, that works, and it
popular because redhat have done so well.  dpkg does a lot better job with
deps, conflicts, and pre-dependencies, things that rpm's doesn't support
*properly* iirc.

Deja-vu....

Not so very long ago in computing terms, shortly after HP-UX 10
was released some big players decided HP's SWINSTALL, was the
bees knees in software packaging, or at least it looked like HP
had won another standards war - following close on from their
success with HP-VUE ( whoops I mean CDE of course).

HP happily supplied a Windows version, and an HP version, and I
think they did a Solaris Port (but people, rather than pedants,
still called it SUNOS then).

I'll let you judge from the number of packages you've installed
with the "swinstall" command how far this initiative went.

Still I think bits were to remain proprietary software or some
such, so no wonder no one signed over everything to HP.

do you know when you lost all sanity?

Sanity is a very vague concept, much like intelligence, as
Turing said, I paraphrase, "I'll know it when I see it".  Stick
to worrying about happiness, much easier to judge if you are
happy.

For example suggesting that state controlled organisation might
do a better job of running society will get you barred from some
areas of employment in the civil service, where as believing in
an omniscience creator of the Universe who created the earth in
seven days, distorts the laws of physics in favour of his
followers (sometimes, other times letting them suffer cruel and
unpleasant deaths), can get you a steady job with a palace in
Lambeth.

Take heart for knowing you can't lose, and won't miss, what
you've never had.

Failing that come round for a game of Therapy some time.