Re: [LUG] Netmeeting

Nick Kew wrote:

Does anyone within easy distance of here[1] have Netmeeting facilities?
I'm looking for an opportunity to find out what it offers, and what will
be expected of me if I'm asked to give a demo using it.

I have it on the laptop Win98 partition, with webcam, and built
in mike (very hissy - external is better).

Netmeeting provides H323 videoconferencing, whiteboard (Like
Paintbrush), text chat, application sharing (very crude compared
to X Windows application sharing tools I've seen).

You can use it without a Netmeeting server just by "dialing" the
IP address of someone else using Netmeeting for 1 to 1 - so
anybody with a recent copy of Windows, webcam and mike can
probably provide a demo if you provide same.

Typical Microsoft levels of useability - easy to start,
impossible to sort any problems out ;) I would wonder at the
security as well, very complex and probably underhacked.

Worst feature - if applications overlap you see something that
looks like the static between TV channels.... Example MS Office
toolbar isn't part of Word even though it sits in the title bar.

Best feature - naive American girls don't know people can use
other H323 clients and recording the video output - she'd never
have done that on Camera if she'd known she was to become the
Freenet pin-up ;)

Most FAQ - how do you firewall H323?

One of Microsoft's better packages, the price is right as well -
or is that anticompetitive pricing?