Re: [LUG] Re: Security

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

 update-rc.d -f inetd remove

i don't like inetd, for some odd reason. it's a personal thing, It just
doesn't seem natural :p

If your box only does mail, or only does web, or only does ftp,
then inetd is often unnecessary. But if you launch thumping
great processes on demand only....

$ cat /etc/inetd.conf
imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  imapd
#ftp    stream tcp      nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
in.ftpd

Hmm then again maybe your right, although inetd has some nice
security touches on recent *nix's, and can make up for lack of
access controls in the software daemon. Of course most Linux
stuff is TCP wrapper aware, but not everyones *nix is as
enlightened.

I detest xinetd, but then maybe I didn't have a huge demand for
inetd anyway ;)

portmap is a very very silly thign to leave open to the internet.

You'd think by now it would have been hardened enough the number
of fixes applied, I guess like sendmail (and so much else) it
reveals how hard it is to retrofit security.