Re: [LUG] Re: Security

On Thursday 20 June 2002 10:23 pm, Ian P. Christian wrote:

apt-get install iptables
and
http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php.

personally i use:

apt-get install iptables
.. create your iptables rules ...
/etc/init.d/iptables save_active

and it wil lsave and restore on reboot.

But come on, be serious folks. No cracker will be interested in a dial
up system. It would take too long to check it if you have
anything worth
looking at. For a machine you keep on all the time on DSL,
well thats a
different story.

I had a dialup machine rooted twice, and that was *after* securing.

like simon said (no pun intended!), nearly all hacks are automated, so it
makes no difference really. once a box is compromised (even via a user
account), it can be used to launch dos attacks.  most dDoS attacks launched
on ISP's are from 56k dial-up accounts, a few thosand windows boxes all
sending stupid packets at a router can do all sorts of wonders for lag ;p

For the sake of people editing /etc/inetd.conf, I really think people
should spend atleast 10 minutes turning services off.

the *very* first thign i do on a debian box is:

update-rc.d -f portmap remove
update-rc.d -f inetd remove

i don't like inetd, for some odd reason. it's a personal thing, It just
doesn't seem natural :p

portmap is a very very silly thign to leave open to the internet.

my firewall has all ports short of ssh and imap closed.

~ Theo

- --

Theo Zourzouvillys
http://zozo.org.uk/

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.