Re: [LUG] Re: Security

"Ian P. Christian" wrote:

But come on, be serious folks. No cracker will be interested in a dial
up system. It would take too long to check it if you have
anything worth
looking at. For a machine you keep on all the time on DSL,
well thats a
different story.

I had a dialup machine rooted twice, and that was *after* securing.

Ouch.

For the sake of people editing /etc/inetd.conf, I really think people
should spend atleast 10 minutes turning services off.

Hear, hear (and 30 seconds with ntsysv, /etc/hosts.allow is your
friend as well)

I would disable unused services as well as firewall. Too many
stories of firewall compromises - if a program ain't running on
any ports, it won't get bust, it frees up memory/swap/CPU, and
shrinks log files..... If a port is firewalled from the
Internet, a program run by accident or temporarily to try it
out, won't get bust.

The majority of "hacks" are automated, programs don't know if
your IP address is dial up or not. Some dial users are on 24x7 -
smurf anytime.

Any box is a target to hackers, either to help hide their trail
(hack you then hack someone more paranoid with more extensive
logs)... Or to partake in distributed denial of service attack.

In the later case the attacks are usually automated as the
attacker wants your bandwidth and doesn't give a monkeys if it
is 56kbps or 33Mbps, it all helps DoS someone.

Imagine trying to convince the police it wasn't you hacking from
your Linux box into XYZ online banking service, it was someone
else ;)

Whilst Linux has a reasonable reputation for being secure, I
still see a lot of port 21 probes from remote machines, and I'd
guess some of those are Redhat servers with lurking Worm
infections.... It is a big bad net out there. Actually I don't
think there are many black hats out there you need to worry
about, but it only takes one script kiddie to automate an
existing exploit, and zap all your bases are belong them ;)