Re: [LUG] hdd recomendations

Kai Hendry wrote:

There went my old old pgp key.

Now as Bill signs off in the HP-UX list there are two types of
users, those that have lost data, and those that are going to.

I back up GPG (of course) keys to floppy, I haven't yet reached
a key length that makes this impracticable ;)

Although I don't trust the old default key lengths. If 128 bit
keys are trivially bust in simple cryptography, this means even
solid public key methods require fairly substantial keys.

Of course it depends on your paranoia, but if you are so
paranoid as to not backup your keys you'd never let the keys get
old in the first place ;)

The big problem is the expense of decent backup solutions, there
is a lot of personal PC data out there waiting for the
inevitable failure of their PCs hard disks....

300 quid is a lot of money for backing up a 500 quid PC....

Writable DVDs might just have the mass market appeal to become a
viable if slow solution.... But the capacity is going to be an
issue.....