Re: [LUG] X-windows problems

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 19:10, paul wrote:
Either look in the monitor manual for the horizontal and vertical refresh
rates, and use them or use the lowest values possible to begin with.  Out of
interestr what is the model name and details perhaps another lug member has
a similar monitor and can help with manuals.

Careful you don't set the refresh rate too low. I ran my old home
monitor at 60Hz for a while - it gave me terrific headaches! Health and
safety - when I last checked - specified not running a monitor at less
than 60Hz. Today's monitors will of course running much higher than
this, and as Paul says *try* it at a lower rating to start with, but
make sure you are comfortable with it. Also don't push the frequency up
too high without knowing the monitors specs since you may well blew the
monitor - done that, been there :-)

Under Suse you can select from a range of monitors, not sure on the
situation under red hat,  however I think they have a similar setup. (
however I assume you have done this).

Yup, they have a bunch of monitor specs to chose from. However, a google
search may well reveal specs of some odd monitors.

I can't seem to configure the X-windows server it
finds my vga card no problem I then have to do a
custom set up for my moniter (I try selecting a low
resolution 640 by 800, I then test it; it looks ok for
a few seconds then I get black boxes were it does not
seem to quite refresh properly in some areas of the
screen (it is quite explain).

Nope, not seen that. Could be though that caveat emptor (or whatever) as
they say - i.e. you got a duff monitor. Sorry. Redhat have a hardware
compatability list on their web site, you may want to check the monitor
and graphics card to see if they are listed.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK       Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx