Re: [LUG] Star Office choked and won't restart

Adrian Midgley wrote:

you clever chap

more, more... ;)

Although I'm impressed with
how fast a script grepping a directory of text files with assorted email
addresses in them can be.

Hmm and I've noticed how the IMAP implementation shipped with
Redhat is so much slower than grepping the underlying files.

Okay I guess if I use a format where messages are sequential in
a folder it has to split them up again, but it occurs to me that
you should be able to "exclude" a folder at grep like speeds, as
if it doesn't have the line beginning "Subject: Re: [LUG} Star"
it is unlikely to have a message with the corresponding subject.

Time to convert my folders to directories with one file per
message, and to start indexing my IMAP mail... More disk space
required first though.

I believe htdig indexes IMAP4 mail folders - anyone any
experience of doing this with any specific products. Disk space
won't be such a problem once I upgrade, although if I want all
six piece tablebase endings for the chess program... oh well.

Simon, with too much e-mail archived.