Re: [LUG] Star Office choked and won't restart

On Friday 03 May 2002 17:22, you wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:
I asked it to open a .pps file, it hung 9/10 of the way through opening
it and I killed it.

Which version of StarOffice? OpenOffice 1.0 might do a better job of
handling the file.

5.2

5.2 sometimes does appear to have problems with creating difficult
to destroy processes.

I tried a recent beta of Open Office and it didn't run on my system, so I
will try the release 1.0 but I havn't got it yet.

IIRC StarOffice puts a lock file somewhere in the directory it creates
in the home directory.

What is the Parent Process ID (PPID), if it isn't the init process
you will probably need to kill the parent process. Unix systems can
have so called "zombie" processes, which are waiting to report their
exit status to their parent.

Should that prevent a further instance of the program running though?

2 zombies at present.

akm@xxxxxxx:~ > ps -aux|grep office
akm        838  0.3  1.1 209080 2864 ?       S    Apr28  28:28
/opt/office52/program/soffice.bin
akm        875  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    Apr28   0:03 [soffice.bin
<defunct>]
akm      11230  0.0 10.2 50592 26032 pts/4   T    16:41   0:00
/opt/office52/program/soffice.bin

The command "ps jax" will display the PPID and the process group ID.
(But for some reason it dosn't like the u option.)

Process 838 is sleeping, process 875 is zombie. At a guess process
838 is the grandparent of 875, killing process 838 should do something