Re: [LUG] Jabber and Jarl

David Barker wrote:

So far I have sent messages to Kicq, but replies don't work.

That seemed to disappear when I restarted the client.

Don't worry about it, your not leaking any info about yourself, that's the
local jabber server leaking it's details which is acceptable unless you're
the admin of said box... ;)

One of the advantages of Free software is you can fix that -
although it is pretty tough to stop people fingerprinting
software. Postfix for example is a dead giveaway as it tries to
"back-off" if someone enters incorrect SMTP commands in a fairly
distinctive fashion, it also drops "postfix" instead of the
configurable MTA name into all it's bounce messages (I sent
Wietse the one line change but he seemed wary for some reason).

feel free to try our server - jabber.ex.ac.uk. Its currently one of the most
uptodate & reliable jabber servers out there - we've got transports for all
the major IM systems (sans IRC atm), and more importantly, it seems to be
relativly stable.

Okay.... charente.de seemed to have lots of protocols running
from what I could make out. What group chat facilities are there
outside of IRC?

I would also _strongly_ either using Gabber (gtk) or Psi (QT3 looking good
under KDE with docking support) The other clients are OK, but just nowhere
near as mature......

I suspect IRC is broken on charente.de as well ;)

Hmm, I don't know - something happens, but it may be that I just
haven't chosen a suitable channel as Jarl doesn't appear to try
and grab the channel list.

Anyway I'll brave Gabber next - see how it compares - if nothing
else with Jarl I have upgraded a lot of PERL modules - so the
Address Book util is probably toast again ;)

--
"Don't get me started on intuitive. You know what's intuitive?
Fear of heights. Everything else we call intuitive, such as