Re: [LUG] Jabber and Jarl

On Friday 03 May 2002 16:38, Simon Waters wrote:
Anyone master all that Jabber stuff yet?

Thought I'd brave some if it as Kicq is painful to use....

I've started with the PERL client Jarl - hmm... I also started
with the server charente.de which might have been a mistake -
est is alles im Deutsch - vorsprung durch Instant Messaging and
all that.

So far I have sent messages to Kicq, but replies don't work.

Simon W (old ICQ)
15753212

Simon W (new ICQ) - trying to use from Jabber
116952768

So I can message 15753212 (When I appear both online and offline
as 116952768) but I can't reply. The online/offline stuff seems
to work well enough, just messages.

And Nick the fake Norweigan is "Not Available" and his was the
first IM details I had to hand. Although it kindly tells me he
his client think it is running on a 2.4.7 Kernel in his abscence
- eeek what sort of information am I leaking with this software
I wonder....

Don't worry about it, your not leaking any info about yourself, that's the
local jabber server leaking it's details which is acceptable unless you're
the admin of said box... ;)

feel free to try our server - jabber.ex.ac.uk. Its currently one of the most
uptodate & reliable jabber servers out there - we've got transports for all
the major IM systems (sans IRC atm), and more importantly, it seems to be
relativly stable.

I would also _strongly_ either using Gabber (gtk) or Psi (QT3 looking good
under KDE with docking support) The other clients are OK, but just nowhere
near as mature......

Anyway IM users here message me, and explain what I'm doing
wrong.

Where do I find Jabber conference group names, or is this
another Jarl failing?
What JID do I use for a IRC chat "????@irc.charente.de" ?

I suspect IRC is broken on charente.de as well ;)

Jabber: gnufan@xxxxxxxxxxx