From: "Paul Hewson" <P.J.Hewson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "list" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Simon Waters" <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 1:53 PM
Subject: RE: [LUG] X-windows problems (rant)

Hi,

I think basing assessments of X resource requirements on KDE performance
is a
bit misleading, even on my relatively modern machine KDE drains
performance
like nobodies business yet X can run acceptably on quite old junk.

I tend to disagree with making very general statements about recycling old
machines.   It all depends entirely what you want to do with them (Alice
in
Wonderland said that BTW).   Although it's partly a testimony to the
wonders
of local government IT, I can do more on a 486 than a modern(ish) NT4
machine
(the 486 in question gives me Perl, R and LaTeX).   Certainly, I would
give
anything (other than my own money) to have that lot running under Gnome
along
with some species of emacs but blasting away at the command line and
handing
over pdfs lets me conduct analyses that are way beyond the capabilities of
***** council's IT system.   (I will admit currently that the tex files
are
prepared in notepad on M$ windows, that the pdf viewer is obviously only
available in M$ Windoze and also that any analysis on a particularly large
data set gets prototyped at work and run at home).

I accept that no-one in their right minds would put this old box forward
as
the ideal SOHO machine but horses for courses and all that.   I can think
of
plenty more examples where a bit of old tack would be useful, for example
know of someone planning to provide all sorts of Unix software available
from
a subscription server so anything that ran an X-client (along with ssh)
would
be useful, and I would certainly rather have an old pc with emacs for
emails
at home than that Amstrad telephone thingy.

Regards

Paul

===== Original Message From Simon Waters <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
=====