SUSE 8 problem solve summary

       Problem getting host not found errors

       1.  check you have the following file

       /etc/resolv.conf

       you can use ls /etc/resolv.conf

       this file should contain
       nameserver ip address

       where ip address will be provided by your isp

       in the case of uklinux.net

       80.84.72.20
       80.84.64.20

       the permissions on the file should be

       -rw-r--r--
       or 644 so
       chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf

       typing
       dir /etc/resolv.conf will list the files along with the -rw-r--r--
permissions so you can check this is ok.

       you don't need to be logged in as root for this,  you should use su then get
root that way AFAIK this is better practice.

       that should fix this part, it's worth making sure that your dialier program
is configured correctly, so it's worth double checking.  in kppp under you
account properties,  DNS is set to manual and both the 2 above ip's are in
the box, also under ip this is set to dynamic,  and blank,  as opposed to
static where you set it your self, so check this, as one of my probs was that
it was set to static and blank and I got problems,

Hope this helps, other members, perhaps,  this can be included on the lug site
as the hints section needs more stuff.

Paul

PS thanks to all the group for the help.