From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ray Smith
Sent: 30 April 2002 21:01
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [LUG] ADSL again & thankyous

Hi everybody.

First of all thank you to Matt for the RH 7 cd which cam on saturday.
lot's
of fun installing (actually the usual wade through all the software). X
no
longer locks up but it's not accelerated even though dri is enabled &
reported when X starts & the agp module is loaded so lot's of head
scratching still to do.

Lee. Just wondering how the test burn of the dvd went with suse. does it
work ok as if it does could you let us know ?

Now I've been following the thread on adsl with some interest especially
as
I work for the unholy BT in the fault dept. on 154

It's incredible how many calls we get every day from people with
problems
with isdn & adsl.
The general stance with adsl is if your line tests fine for voice calls
but
you have a problem with adsl itself; contact your service provider ! Of
course that's not the whole story especially where dacs is concerned.
Dacs simply enables 1 existing line to carry 2 numbers & is used
(usually)
at remote locations where it would be hard to provide a new line,
telegraph
pole etc.

It has no noticable effect on voice quality but it you want to use adsl
you
might as well forget it.
Also the distance from the exchange isn't the whole picture.
You also need the quality of your line tested, 3.5 km for full speed
adsl
but up to 5.5km for 512kps products.
A line loss test to find out how much information might be lost.
Capacitance (which is what is measured when we do a line test in
nanofarods)
presumably the higher the better for adsl, seperate teams involved in
all of
that to 154 and a WHOOSH test which looks at the quality of the line
across
the whole range and how much signal reaches your house.

The check you can do yourself for how far your are from the exchange
isn't
all that accurate,as 1 or 2 of you have noticed and is no use for isdn
or
home highway.

Interestingly I only today had some more training on isdn & all I would
say
to anyone considering it is there is no way I would ever use it myself.
Too expensive, too unreliable & too damn hard to figure out what's gone
wrong when it does although I might be persuaded to do a short faq on
common
isdn problems and self tests for home highway boxes if someones
interested.

How does this relate to linux anyway ? Is anyone using adsl or isdn with
linux in the group ?
What's the general setup procedure ?

Ray

---