Re: [LUG] ADSL again & thankyous

Ray Smith wrote:

It's incredible how many calls we get every day from people with problems
with isdn & adsl.

Hmm the word from Eclipse was that some of the BT ADSL cards
were suspect or some such, leading to some bizarre disconnect
problem. I think they switched from Alcatel without sufficient
testing.

Interestingly I only today had some more training on isdn & all I would say
to anyone considering it is there is no way I would ever use it myself.
Too expensive, too unreliable & too damn hard to figure out what's gone
wrong when it does although I might be persuaded to do a short faq on common
isdn problems and self tests for home highway boxes if someones interested.

I think the secret is not to use the options and varieties
around, BT predominantly support home highway, and thus keep the
options as thin as possible.

Besides I thought Home highway users were suppose to call 0800
525 111 not 154....

ISDN set up here is Home Highway with Anytime. I've had very few
BT related problems, although they had real trouble swapping the
two lines/numbers around! Noticed a couple of problems on Monday
mornings - so thing happens some Mondays early on.

The Linux driver I use for it aren't brilliant, probably ought
to upgrade the kernel, and switch to a recent version of
ISDN4Linux, I'm using the normal pppd, and Hisax driver, but the
odd problems I get are frequent enough to irritate, but not
frequent enough to bother fixing, easier just to have a script
redial when it disconnects or stops for other reason.

Scott Adams dedicates a whole chapter to the vaguaries of ISDN
and how badly thought out it is.