Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:

I have spoken to some `key personnel' around here about these
policies and the general answer seems to be that it is the
responsibility of a University to provide experience of a real world
computing environment to its students.

Funny I thought it was the responsibility of Universities to
educate, and foster discussion, and development of new ideas,
but then I was at Uni a long time ago ;)

Their is little point in my opinion in trying to educate people
about current technology at University.

I learnt a lot about DOS at University, and just before I left
they deployed Windows 3.0 (IIRC) all over the place, okay DOS
was briefly useful to me at work before 3.11 was deployed, but
the Unix stuff I learnt whilst "visiting" the computers at City
University has been far more useful to my career.

Similarly I was taught Fortran 77 (Hi, Mr Duller), but reading
Knuth's Algorithmns, and (some of) the Art of Computer
Programming, left me stuff which is still relevant tucked away
in my memory. Of course seeing as it was a maths degree I was
probably suppose to be concentrating on the efficient LU
decomposition of matrices, but we always used NAG for that in
anger, rather than the IT side.

The real issue here is psychology. People are comfortable with
Windows, even though it may give them some pain, they think they
understand it as they have used it. People don't make decisions
rationally, they do what they feel comfortable doing.

At the UK Meteorological Office, some of the most successful and
radical IT ideas were those that could evolve. The Intranet was
deployed early and became very functional, because free
webserver software made it possible to do without spending tax
payers money, and thus without senior management committing
themselves to something they didn't understand.

Similarly the way to break barriers in other organisations is to
solve real problems. The web proxy is a good example, it solved
the problem cheaply and quickly, management like that, and they
won't worry about the HOW, if it is executed efficiently, and
doesn't become an issue.

Of course the cynical might say Universities should teach
students to use the technology they will encounter in business,
not the technology business is using today.