Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

John Horne wrote:

True, and there are others within departments of the Uni using
linux, but not here in the 'computing service' (as it was known, and
I think still makes more sense than 'information and learning
resources'!). Considering we are supposed to provide the central
computing power for the Uni's staff and students, I would have been
nice to have seen a little...er...understanding about computing
around here? We used to have a few Macs here many years ago, but
that's all gone now, it's Microsoft windows and that's it. Yeurggh
:-(

I have spoken to some `key personnel' around here about these
policies and the general answer seems to be that it is the
responsibility of a University to provide experience of a real world
computing environment to its students.  As anyone who has ever worked
in any non-IT office job will know, that means Windows NT.

Fair enough.  The sad thing is that, when the day comes that there is
no longer any real argument and the sophistication and availability
of distributions (check the amount of software in Woody) makes their
usefulness beyond dispute a number of companies are going to look
pretty daft sitting on several million quids worth of obsolete CDs!

Forgive my zeal ;)

These comments are not even my own, they were inserted into this
email by an unknown third-party...